Eureka!? Finding myself amid the “busy.”
I thought for awhile about what cool “found” moment I might write about for this month’s ArchiTalks. Perhaps it could be a work revelation, or a new found project, or something around the L² Design Lab. And then I realized amid all of the busy, I was having a hard time finding myself. I have recently wrapped up some big work and YAF deadlines and am slowly re-claiming time in my schedule. This sometimes looks like finding myself in a coffee shop on a Sunday to dream, plan and think. Sometimes it looks like a calm weekend afternoon at home with the pups and a good book.
But as I head into another crazy week, I realize my quest is not done. I haven’t *found* myself, but am finding myself amid the busy every day. Every week. Every moment.
I am happy to give of my time to things I value, like the AIA, YAF, AREsketches, my community, etc. But in this season in life, I’m also realizing that I need to value the time I give to *me* just as much. Whether it’s a good book, a good glass of wine (or bourbon), a good cuddle with the pups, or a good walk. The time to reset is important to the time spent doing. I could list off statistics about burnout or “brown out”…and no that’s not a college drinking reference, it’s a real-life workplace investment issue. But I’m not going to. Send me an email if you want to know more or want some references, but in the meantime, think about what you value. Take care of yourself.
I haven’t found that balance; I haven’t found the sweet spot of work and rest, but I’m not going to stop trying. And with that, I’ll leave you to your day (because my new nightly reminder on my phone, ironically to unplug and pick up that good book, is going off). Do something to feed your soul today and maybe some day we’ll all be able to say…
To see the take on “eureka” from other Architects, follow the links to the others in the #ArchiTalks group who are posting today on the theme:
- James Mehaffey – Yeoman Architect (@jamesmehaffey) “Eureka”
- Eric Faulkner – Rock Talk (@wishingrockhome) “Eureka! — Things That Suck”
- Michele Grace Hottel – Michele Grace Hottel, Architect (@mghottel) “Eureka”
- Mark Stephens – Mark Stephens Architects (@architectmark) “Eureka moments and what do if clients don’t appreciate them”
- Jeffrey Pelletier – Board & Vellum (@boardandvellum) “Finding That “Eureka!” Moment in the Design Process”
- Keith Palma – Architect’s Trace (@cogitatedesign) “Naked in the Street”
- Jeremiah Russell – ROGUE Architecture (@rogue_architect) “Gee, golly, gosh EUREKA: #architalks”
- Stephen Ramos – BUILDINGS ARE COOL (@BuildingsRCool) “Searching for that Eureka Moment”
- Larry Lucas – Lucas Sustainable, PLLC (@LarryLucasArch) “Eureka for George in Seinfeld Episode 181”